With spring just around the corner, let’s get your home ready for the warmer weather and the inevitable rain!
Here are a few of my spring home maintenance tips:
- Inspect bathroom and kitchen caulking for cracks or gaps. Check especially around sinks, bath tubs, and showers. Scrape off any old caulking and re-caulk. Having a good seal in these areas can prevent leaks and mold.
- Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors. This is the best time to change the batteries and test the detectors to ensure that they are working. If the detectors are more than 5 years old, they need to be replaced.
- Replace furnace air filters. With the warmer weather coming in, now is a good time to replace the air filters in your furnace. A dirty air filter means that your furnace and air conditioner will be polluting the the air in your home. Replacing the filter will not only help keep your air cleaner, but it will also prolong the life of your furnace and air conditioner.
- Now is the best time for a deep clean! Dust and clean furniture, appliances and floors. Don’t forget the baseboards! My tip, after wiping off the dust, run a dryer sheet along the baseboard to coat it with some dust repelling properties.
- Check the caulking around windows. Spring means lots of rain! Cracks in the caulking around windows and doors could let in rain and creepy crawlies. If there are cracks, re-caulk.
- Speaking of rain, don’t forget to check your gutters and eavestroughs. Clogged gutters and eavestroughs could lead to rotting wood trim and critters. Clean out any debris, leaves, and sticks that may end up clogging the drains.
Download my Spring Home Maintenance Checklist today and let’s make sure your home is ready for the spring!
Feel like you’re ready for a fresh start in a new place?
Contact Brit McDonald 416–427–7900!